The World Masters Gymnastics Championship is a competition held in Southern Ontario in which adult gymnasts get the opportunity to demonstrate their skills in all women’s and men’s artistic events.
The most recent Call-to-Meet can be found here (2017).
Many thanks to CLIF Bar for sponsoring the 2016 and 2017 Championships!
Athletes must meet certain requirements to be eligible for competition:
- They must be at least 18 at the time of competition.
- They must be retired from active competition other than in the masters division.
- They must have Gymnastics Ontario insurance.
- They must be capable of having fun.
Unique features about this competition:
- Register for a single event (beam or rings or floor, etc) or register for multiple events. Multiple events can include ALL events. Are you a woman who thinks you can compete with men on rings? Give it a try! Have any of you men thought of putting your life on the line on beam? Sure! (never again for me…)
- Mulligan Money. This is a form of currency athletes can use to bribe the judges. It’s given out based on age; one mulligan at 25+ years old, two at 35+, and so on. Mulligan money is also available for purchase with all proceeds going toward Multiple Sclerosis research.
- The Back Tuck Circle of Rainbows and Happiness. At the end of the competition, just before scores are announced, everyone capable of doing a back tuck stands in a circle on the floor. One by one, everyone does a back tuck and the circle continues until there’s only one person left standing. The only rule is that you can’t touch the ground with anything but your feet.
The current Back Tuck Circle Champion is Eric Laurin with 152 back tucks at the 2017 Championship.
The top ten overall highest scores are:
1. Eric Laurin, 152 – 2017
2. Courtenay Wood, 150 – 2017
3. Taylor Mitchell, 149 – 2017
4. Nicole Eliopoulos, 142 – 2017
5. Dan Donald, 132 – 2017
6. Laura Stobbe, 117 – 2017
7. Courtenay Wood, 116 – 2016
8. Eric Laurin, 115 – 2016
9.Matt Mascola, 102 – 2016
10.Dan Donald, 101 – 2016